We Didn't Rapture - Now What?

The world didn’t end on May 21, 2011. Rev. Harold Camping was wrong. He thought we had to leave this world to be with God -- and that is what matters most. I disagree. Passages like John 14, Revelation 21, and Micah 6, scream out to me that the ‘here and now’ is what matters most.

I admire Camping for his sense of expectancy but I’m afraid his energy is misplaced. Expectancy is not waiting on Jesus to bring you home to heaven. It’s, rather, believing in the ‘here and now,’ in the ‘ongoing creation of the world,’ in ‘heaven on earth’ (where we abide in God). I’d argue we’re already home.

I believe this world matters. It matters so much that after Jesus dies, he comes back to it – physically and spiritually.

This tells me there’s work to be done, lives to influence, environments to protect, messages to preach, families to love, and worlds to restore.

So live with expectancy – expecting to see God, expecting the world to change, and expecting that through Jesus there is a marriage between God and humanity that is growing closer every day. That’s the point of the gospel. We don’t wait for the world to end; instead, we engage the world to show others how Jesus helps us abide in God.

Comments

malcs said…
I haven't even had time to read this thoroughly, but I love what you're saying in the first paragraph!

Maybe I'll get time when Sunday is sorted to leisurely stroll through your blog! Cheers

Popular posts from this blog

The Most Difficult Parable Ever

Leaving on a Jet Plane. . .

The Bird of Dawning Singeth All Night Long