Still Imagining Redemption

One day in college (I remember this vividly) I was overcome with sins of the world and sins of my flesh. It was a Saturday afternoon, and I found myself weeping on my knees on the floor of my freshman dorm. With a tearful prayer I looked up to God and said, “I can’t keep living this way. I need you. I want you.” I can’t adequately express to you the rush of emotion I felt at that moment, but in not enough words, I felt as if something that was holding me down was released. I felt forgiven. I felt redeemed.

Is this redemption? Does God intersect with humanity on a spiritual, interior level?

Over eight months ago one of the most horrific natural disasters occurred in my lifetime. Haiti was hit by a devastating earthquake and then another demoralizing aftershock. Hundreds of thousands of people killed. Thousands of people injured. Houses blown down. Capital city and governmental buildings destroyed. People smashed under rubble. It’s horrifying from every angle.

What are we to expect God to do redemptively here? How do we imagine redemption? Is the best we can do as Christians is to sit by and wait for God to make us feel better on the floor of our dorm room? Or should we expect more from our God? Should God act concretely in concrete circumstances?

Is our God big enough to redeem Haiti? Is our God big enough to affect change? Is our God big enough to act in a way in history where the Kingdom of God becomes evident, visible, and obtainable?

My theological and pastoral answer is . . . Yes.

The bible tells us that God very much is big enough, capable enough, strong enough, loving enough, gracious enough, merciful enough, and thoughtful enough. If your God isn’t . . . then your God is too small.

The church is called to be the body of Christ in the world. We are to imitate Jesus. We can’t redeem (why else would we need a Redeemer) but we can strengthen redemptive moments and partner with God to help restore relationships. But Jesus did come to our world to give sight to the blind, to set captives free, to bring good news to the poor. He came to do ministry – not just preach it or experience it. He helps neighbors in need. He loves and cherishes all life. He chooses life over death, good over evil and justice over oppression. And we can too.

I believe if Jesus were here today he would find himself in Haiti helping rescue babies. He would find himself in Afghanistan promoting peace. He would find himself in Uganda stopping the spread of malaria. He would find himself in Atlanta shutting down sex trafficking parlors. Jesus would find himself in West Point, GA taking care of the needy, the sick, and the poor.

Redemption is happening. It happens on spiritual (interior) and physical (exterior) levels. But it doesn’t happen over night. Redemption, like most anything, happens over time. God is moving in this world and if we want to see it more clearly then the church must start moving too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Most Difficult Parable Ever

Leaving on a Jet Plane. . .

The Bird of Dawning Singeth All Night Long