All Good Things Must Come to an End

In the late 1300s Geoffrey Chaucer coined the phrase, “All good things must come to an end.” This phrase means more to me right now than it ever has before.

This week is my last week as pastor at Union Baptist Church in Pine Mountain, Georgia. Out of all my accomplishments, opportunities, and memories, pastoring UBC has been one of, if not, the best.

For three years I have traveled alongside this community of grace through celebrations such as birthday parties, weddings, worship services, homecomings, Fall Festivals, baptisms, and so much more. I have also traveled alongside more sincere moments of pain, tragedy, and anguish; for I have counseled families through deaths, hardships, work-related problems, spirit-related inquiries, sadness, depression, anger, surgeries, confusion, and even wonderment.

Collectively, these shared stories, these real and emotionally significant memories, have shaped who I am and how I see myself in the world.

This decision to leave UBC does not come lightly or irreverently (quite the opposite actually). It comes with a heavy heart for the relationships changing and with a faithful heart that the next step is going to be a step worth taking.

Life seems to be full of these liminal moments doesn’t it? We all find ourselves staring into the thin space of transition . . .

the threshold of consciousness . . .

the place between hither and yon . . .

the in-between space . . .

. . . and wondering if we have made the right decision and/or if God is going to be equally as present as before.

Well, I am there now. I’m holding tightly to the hope that my faith is in a God who makes all things new.

As I begin my transition from UBC to this new season of life, I will carry with me cherished memories, beautiful faces, kingdom of God moments, spiritually-led worship services, a better understanding of how church works, a clearer depiction of my theology, a handful of mediocre sermons, a sincere love for the people of God, church, and the Christian calendar. I will carry with me feelings of how I wish I could have done better, feelings of inadequacy for leaving a wonderful community of grace, and a faith that points clearer into the future because of such a positive experience in the past.

I will forever remember and love the people of Union Baptist Church.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leaving on a Jet Plane. . .

The Most Difficult Parable Ever

The Bird of Dawning Singeth All Night Long