My 'Purposefully Different' Sweetheart

A little over a year ago I became friends with the most purposefully different person I had ever met. She was contagious, and the next thing I knew; she had swept me off my feet and allowed me to love her.

This week marks the one year anniversary for Noelle and me dating.

Without a doubt this past year has been the most precious year of my life. I would love to say it has been easy and there have been zero hiccups – but I can’t. Noelle and I both have strong personalities and strong egos. We see life from a passionate viewpoint and get sad when the world around us doesn’t see life the same we do. Time and time again, we both let each other down.

But despite these moments of sadness and frustration, life with Noelle Spears is a one worth living. She is the most intelligent person I know (and I know a lot of smart people). She is the most radiant person I know as well. The combination of wits and beauty make her a dream come true. I don’t even care that she hates the Tennessee Titans!

I have never met someone that sees life the way she does. She genuinely sees and cares for people who are outcasts or just “different.” In reality, she tells me, that everyone is screwed up, messed up, and a little different. But Noelle doesn’t judge, hate or dismiss the validity of someone’s humanity. Every single person in this world can find space and comfort when sitting next to her. She is arguably the most gracious person I know.

At the same time, you better not mess with any of Noelle’s friends. She is “hard core” when it comes to commitment and friendships. She is the type of girl who would rather have ten close, personal friends than ten thousand people who don’t even know she goes by her middle name. And those ten people will get the best friend they have ever had.

But there is a frailty to Noelle that makes me love her too. She’s fragile in the sense she hurts when people hurt. She cries when people cry. She empathizes with everyone. She has the capacity to see behind your ego, behind your questions, behind your “alpha-male” exterior or even doubt, and peer into your heart. She sees behind the questions and can empathize with you. Noelle’s gentleness and frailty may be her most precious gift to the world.

Noelle also makes me feel as if I’m a better person. Its cliché I know, but she is one of the few people that sees me for the ego and insecurities that I am – and still loves me (I admit she may not be the only person who sees my ego, but she is the only person that I allow to consistently call me out on it).

If you know me well enough, you know I live my life in the external. My heart is on my sleeve, my eyes are looking up, and my goals are always to move the ball down the field. But Noelle has brought me a perspective I don’t think about often - it’s ok to just be still, be present, and be undivided. Some of my favorite days with her are when nothing is due and we just are together – all day.

Noelle is the best person I know. She is committed. Brilliant. Beautiful. Sassy. Colorful. Purposefully Different. And one of a kind. I am thankful for this past year and truly believe forever is not long enough for Noelle to call me hers.

Comments

Allison Kennedy said…
What a lovely tribute! How wonderful you both found each other.
3 said…
you've done it again grinnin. feliz navidad, and i would make out with you if i were noelle. but i'm not, so let's just leave it at that. also, i would like to say, "MAY 2nd!!!!!!"

Popular posts from this blog

The Most Difficult Parable Ever

Leaving on a Jet Plane. . .

The Bird of Dawning Singeth All Night Long