A Dynamic Discovery

During the three weeks in the Middle East we as a group got extremely close to one another and really enjoyed a sense of community. You would have never thought on Day 1 that all of us by the end of the trip would be overly concerned with each other’s bowel movements – but we were!



The five other seminaries that traveled with us were similar yet different when it comes to theological leanings. We had two Methodist groups (Emory and Duke), a Presbyterian school (Columbia), a Christian Church school (Emmanuel), and two Baptists schools (Southern and McAfee). I, of course, go to McAfee.

The differing backgrounds made for healthy and lively theological debates. Some of us baptize infants and others do not. Some of us believe women can be equal to men in authority and others do not. Some believe homosexuality should not keep someone from being a minister and others do not. These theological biases splintered us early in the trip but really made for healthy community by the end of the three weeks.

I came home from the Middle East with much less distaste for communities who think differently than I do. I laugh now as to why I even felt angry (or that I had to correct them). There are countless worldviews that shape our education and understanding and it is time for me to appreciate and respect other people’s faith systems. There is no reason why everyone has to see life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness in the same way or define words such as justification and propitiation in the same manner.

I realize now that you do not have to see Jesus exactly the way I see him in order to be a genuine, committed follower of Christ. The Middle East Travel Seminar forced me to think about how differing opinions can coincide with one another. For some Christ offers a moral influence and for others he offers a ransom for our sins. For some Jesus paid the price for our freedom with a blood sacrifice that substituted the need for us to perform sacrifices for purity, yet for others Jesus’ resurrection is what validates our inheritance into the Kingdom.

Regardless of your theological leanings, Christianity is an umbrella for love, forgiveness, and acceptance. The METS trip taught me my theological understanding is valid as long as I am willing to accommodate somebody’s whose is different. We are all traveling pilgrims trying to live life as best we can from the worldview we understand.

I conclude with this quote from Bonhoeffer as my prayer. May I continually be willing to move toward peace, renounce all violence and tumult, and may I endure that which my vocation brings.

The followers of Christ have been called to peace. And they must not only have peace but also make it. To that end they renounce all violence and tumult. ... His disciples keep the peace by choosing to endure suffering rather than inflict it on others.
D. Bonhoeffer (The Cost of Discipleship)

Comments

Glad you had a 'Christian' seminary amongst the group!

Popular posts from this blog

The Most Difficult Parable Ever

Leaving on a Jet Plane. . .

The Bird of Dawning Singeth All Night Long