Why I Love Being J. Barrett Owen

The paradox is: We search outside ourselves for fulfillment. We need things to fulfill us. On the other hand, the greatest fulfillment is choosing God; we find God within ourselves.

Fulfillment in life will never be contented if it is constantly replacing itself with more stuff. Fulfillment is reached when we take an inward approach to life, faith and spirituality. There is wholeness in the world and there is an avenue where we find God – it is in the contemplative, pensive moments of life.

As humans we must take the time to reflect, sit, think, ponder, wonder, imagine, create, envision, fashion, visualize, craft, construct, doubt, speculate and marvel. Doing this exercise propels us deep within ourselves and connects us with the Divine.

In my short time in this world, I have found God most clearly when I am deeply listening to my soul speak. I hear God more plainly when I search my heart’s mind and think about what it needs.

This past week I spent five days in a spiritual retreat. Those days of reflection and silence reaffirmed for me that I am God’s Beloved child and in me God’s favor rests.

“I am glad to be me.”

I can honestly say this statement because I have traveled from the ‘quest of fulfilling myself with material things and intimate relationships’ to an inward journey of ‘knowing myself and appreciating the person God has made me to be.’ I am glad in who I am because I am a Beloved child of God. I am God’s and in me my God lives. Everyday is another quest to knowing myself better, understanding my choices more clearly, and accepting my Father’s love more dearly. We must look outside of ourselves to see that we are incomplete, but I suggest you better then look inward to see God, for God is the ultimate fulfillment.

Take the Parable of the Prodigal Son for example. The father grants his son’s request for his share of the estate and never judges him for his act of betrayal. After months of loose living and failed attempts at fulfillment, the younger son returns with his tail between his legs. The father greats him with a loving embrace and throws a banquet in his honor.

What I am trying to say in this blog is summed up perfectly if you look at this story of the Prodigal Son allegorically. The father is always at home. Home is deep within our being. We leave home to attempt to fulfill ourselves and our lives with other things. After we fight long enough to live on our own, we go back to the place we started. We go home.

The paradox is in our exocentricity. We need things outside of who we are to survive. I agree with this. But ultimate fulfillment in living in the world comes with being in tune with God.

God’s home is in us. Therefore, to go back home is to go deep within ourselves. It is to connect with the Divine by being with God.

You are God’s Beloved. God lives in you. It may be time for you to go home and receive that blessing. It may be time for you to go home to yourself.

Comments

I look forward to future installments as you mine the obstacles on this journey. Enticements and temptations constantly change, but the 'Way' never does - it seems to me...
Thanks for sharing your journey. JBA
gb said…
Barrett,

We miss you at Union, looking forward to your return.

We can't wait to hear about your trip.
gb said…
Barret,

Look forward for your return, we miss you here at Union.

Can't wait to hear about the trip.

Popular posts from this blog

The Most Difficult Parable Ever

Leaving on a Jet Plane. . .

The Bird of Dawning Singeth All Night Long